Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

Youth swallows lock, doctors cut open his throat to remove it

Youth swallows lock, doctors cut open his throat to remove it



SUPPORT MY "PATREON"
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=30745663

Sumesh Rajan

Mumbai: 25 February 2020

The life of a 22-year-old mentally challenged youth who swallowed a lock, was saved by doctors in India who carried out an emergency and challenging surgery to remove the lock that had got stuck in the man’s food pipe.

Jitendra Kumar is undergoing psychiatric treatment for his mental condition and was confined to his home at Taratand in Jhumri Telaiya town of Jharkhand state. To keep him from wandering away, his family kept him restrained with a chain and lock.

On February 13 evening at about 5 pm he somehow opened the lock and swallowed it up. Unfortunately, the 6 cms long lock got stuck in his throat and he started gasping for air. Seeing him groan in pain, his family rushed him to Sadar Hospital at Koderma, around 8.6 kms from their home. As Sadar Hospital was not equipped to treat Kumar, the doctors there referred him to Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) Hospital at Ranchi, a further distance of 159 kms.

After an agonizing ride of over 4 hours, a squirming Jitendra was finally admitted to RIMS in the wee hours of February 14.

“The patient was brought to our hospital at around 12.30 am gasping for breath. An x-ray was immediately taken to determine the exact spot where the ingested lock had got stuck. Following this, we decided to carry out emergency surgery to have it removed,” said Dr Pradeep Kumar Singh, Head of the Ear, Nose, and Throat Department of RIMS, Ranchi.

He added, “As the lock was around 6 cms in size and had got tightly wedged in the food pipe, it couldn’t be removed by non-invasive endoscopy procedure. Left with no other option, and to save Jitendra’s life, we decided to go for an open surgery to have the foreign body removed.”

The surgery which was conducted on February 14 itself lasted for about one and a half hours, and the lock weighing around 200 grams was successfully removed.

The surgery was conducted by Dr Zahid Mustafa Khan and his team including Dr Sangeeta, Dr Nibha, Dr Raghini, anesthetists Dr Khanna and Dr Shalini.  

“The patient is still admitted to the hospital and is undergoing post-operative treatment. As of now, he is being administered food through a nasal tube as the operated area will take about 10 to 12 days time to heal. The patient is doing fine and will be discharged soon,” said Dr Singh.

"Kindly do support us in our endeavour to bring out more unusual, rare and bizarre, but true, cases to you".

Comments

  1. This blog is for those who are looking to find the best psychiatric. we provide Hire online Stamford Psychiatrist at affordbable prices. for more info visit our website.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

5 year old girl with a very rare blood clotting disorder successfully treated by doctors in Mumbai

Story by Sumesh Rajan Mumbai:  January 19, 2018 A five year old girl was successfully treated for a very rare birth defect with a very rare blood clotting disorder by doctors at Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital in Mumbai. The child was diagnosed one among 200 rare medically recorded cases globally. Deepika Yadav from Raichur district in the south Indian state of Karnataka was having right sided brachial plexus injury and Factor VII deficiency. Brachial plexus injury is about nerves of the upper limb are stretched inadvertently during difficult delivery leading to poorly functioning arm. Factor VII deficiency is a blood clotting disorder that causes excessive or prolonged bleeding after an injury or surgery. With Factor VII deficiency, the body either doesn’t produce enough Factor VII, or something is interfering with factor VII, often another medical condition. Factor VII is a protein produced in the liver that plays an important role in helping blood to clot. It’s one o

Doctors remove 1 kg hairball from 6-year-old girl who weighed only 14 kgs

Video Link :-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXsGZpcpWDs Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 18 September 2018 In a very rare medical case, doctors in India removed a lump of hairball weighing 1 kg and about a meter long from the stomach of a 6 year-old-girl who was suffering from trichophagia along with wheat allergy. The girl from Dad village on the outskirts of Ludhiana city in Punjab, India, was diagnosed with wheat allergy in April this year.  “Her parents brought her to me in the last week of August with severe abdominal pain and a lump in the stomach. They also informed that she has been eating her hair, which in medical terms is called trichophagia,” informed Dr Daljit Singh of Anmol Hospital, Ludhiana, who conducted the surgery. He further added, “She was very underweight and weak for her age. Though she was 6 years old, she weighed only 14 kilograms.” “We got an ultrasound test done which showed some mass in her stomach. Because of her history of e