By Sagaya Fernando | February 18, 2026
New Delhi, INDIA: A 23-year-old man was killed in a tragic road accident in Dwarka earlier this month after a speeding Mahindra Scorpio allegedly driven by a minor rammed into his motorcycle. The accused teenager was apprehended and produced before the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB), which later granted him interim bail to appear for his Class X board examinations.
The Accident
The incident occurred on February 3 near a college in Dwarka’s Sector 11, close to the Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management. Sahil Dhaneshra, 23, was riding his Yamaha YZF R15 motorcycle to work when the Scorpio SUV allegedly being driven at high speed collided with his bike. The impact caused the SUV to further crash into a parked Maruti Dzire car.
Police said they received information about the accident around 11:50 am. Upon reaching the spot, officers found the motorcycle and two cars in a damaged condition. Sahil had died on the spot, while another man, Ajit Singh, who was inside or near the parked car, sustained injuries and was rushed to IGI Hospital. He is currently reported to be stable.
Conflicting Details on Driver’s Age
In one version of events, police said the SUV was driven by a 17-year-old minor who did not possess a driving licence. He was taken into custody and sent to an observation home before being granted interim bail for his board examinations.
However, in another account, police identified the driver as 19-year-old Akshatra Singh, a student of a private college in Delhi. Police stated that he did not have a valid driving licence and was apprehended at the scene. The Scorpio is registered in the name of his father, who is reportedly in the transport business.
Investigators said the driver was attempting to overtake other vehicles when he first collided with the motorcycle coming from the opposite direction and then hit the parked car.
An FIR has been registered at Dwarka South police station under relevant sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita for rash and negligent driving and causing death by negligence. All three vehicles involved have been seized, and Sahil’s body was sent to DDU Hospital for post-mortem examination.
Allegations of Reckless Driving for Social Media
Sahil’s mother, Inna Makan, has alleged that the SUV was being driven recklessly and that the teenager was filming social media reels at the time of the accident. She claimed the vehicle was on the wrong side of the road and performing a dangerous stunt in front of a bus.
According to her, Sahil was trying to manoeuvre his bike in limited space between an e-rickshaw and a bus when the SUV suddenly crashed into him without applying brakes. She further alleged that the vehicle had previously been issued over-speeding challans and accused the driver’s family of negligence.
“This is not just an accident. My son died because someone wanted to make fun reels. People think they can do anything on the road because they come from wealthy families,” she said.
She also alleged that bystanders at the scene were recording videos instead of helping her injured son. “My son was screaming in pain for 10 minutes. An ambulance was present, but he was not immediately taken to the hospital. By the time he was moved, he had died,” she said.
A Promising Life Cut Short
Sahil Dhaneshra, fondly known as Kabir by his mother, was in the final semester of his BBA course. He had secured admission to a reputed university in Manchester and was planning to move to the United Kingdom in September to pursue a master’s degree.
A single parent, Inna said her son had independently managed his university applications and was working part-time at an insurance firm to support his education and reduce her financial burden.
“He was my only son. I will fight for justice. No one is safe on the roads because of such reckless behaviour. Strict action must be taken so that no other mother has to go through this pain,” she said.
Police said further investigation is underway.

Comments
Post a Comment