Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

Surgeon saves 8-year-old girl pierced by iron rod through neck

 

 

Sumesh Rajan

Mumbai: 25 October 2022

 

Doctors at the government run District Hospital at Motipur in Kheri district of Uttar Pradesh, India won the praise of senior doctors and grateful family members when they removed a 3-foot-long iron rod that pierced through the lower jaw of an 8-year-old girl on October 4.

 

A medical team led by Dr Rajkumar Koli removed the rod without affecting the 8-year-old girl’s nerves and blood vessels to the brain.

 

Dr. Koli said that it was such a sensitive and delicate surgery that even a minor flaw could have turned dangerous for the child.

 

Taiba, who lives in Bhulanpur village, while playing with other children at an unde,r-construction building, accidentally fell on a protruding metal rod of a pillar. The road pierced through her lower jaw and came out of the mouth. The other children informed her family members, who rushed to the spot, cut a portion of the rod and rushed her to the nearest district hospital located 15 kilometers away at Motipur, at around 6 pm.

 

“In view of the critical condition of the girl, I was called to do the emergency surgery. I got the patient’s vitals checked and, understanding the danger, told the girl’s parents to take her to Lucknow Medical College (around 140 kms away). But the parents were not in a position to take the girl that far, and requested me to conduct the surgery,” said Dr Koli.

 

“It was a challenging situation as the x-ray facility at the district hospital is not available after 5 pm. I then immediately informed the anesthetist to apply local anesthesia and started the surgery to save the major blood vessels around the pierced area. The rod had firmly got stuck, and to loosen had to make a 1 cm cut and pulled the rod out slowly. The procedure took only about 35 minutes,” informed Dr Koli.

 

The doctor said the child was so lucky that the rod did not hurt the blood vessels to the brain and the windpipe. “Removing the rod without even mildly affecting those organs was a challenge,” said Dr Koli.

 

He added, “After stopping the bleeding outside, dressing the wound, and stabilizing her condition, the patient was shifted to the ward for recovery. After three days, the patient was discharged.”

 

After the rod was successfully removed, the girl started talking within eight hours. Now the girl is absolutely doing well at her home and is able to talk and eat normally. It was the most grievous case I’ve encountered in my professional life,” he concluded.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

5 year old girl with a very rare blood clotting disorder successfully treated by doctors in Mumbai

Story by Sumesh Rajan Mumbai:  January 19, 2018 A five year old girl was successfully treated for a very rare birth defect with a very rare blood clotting disorder by doctors at Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital in Mumbai. The child was diagnosed one among 200 rare medically recorded cases globally. Deepika Yadav from Raichur district in the south Indian state of Karnataka was having right sided brachial plexus injury and Factor VII deficiency. Brachial plexus injury is about nerves of the upper limb are stretched inadvertently during difficult delivery leading to poorly functioning arm. Factor VII deficiency is a blood clotting disorder that causes excessive or prolonged bleeding after an injury or surgery. With Factor VII deficiency, the body either doesn’t produce enough Factor VII, or something is interfering with factor VII, often another medical condition. Factor VII is a protein produced in the liver that plays an important role in helping blood to clot. It’s one o

Doctors in India remove world’s heaviest Ovarian tumour

Doctors in India remove world’s heaviest Ovarian tumour Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 24 October 2018-10-24 It was a quirk of fate that brought 46-years-old Vasantha – a farm hand with a massive abdominal swelling from the hill station of Ooty in Tamil Nadu, India – to doctors 85 kilometers downhill at Coimbatore who diagnosed it to be a gigantic ovarian tumour. “The patient’s abdomen started to swell gradually over a period of two years and started looking like as if she was pregnant with at least quadruplets. In the meantime, her daughter was to get engaged. Afraid of facing the people who would question her about the swollen abdomen and make snide remarks, she along with her husband Pokkisam approached a local doctor at Ooty, who diagnosed her of having a huge tumour and said that her chances of survival are slim even after a surgery. Hearing this, her spouse got disturbed. And, in a state of disturbed mind one day Pokkisam boarded a wrong bus home. A co-passenger who saw