Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

Doctors remove bullet from 16-year-old’s skull 3 months after mishap, save his life

Doctors remove bullet from 16-year-old’s skull 3 months after mishap, save his life

 

Sagaya Fernando

Mumbai: 21 October 2020

 

Attempt to make a firearm at home backfired on a 16-year-old in Sikkim state of India. He was injured when the firearm misfired, when he was apparently testing it around three months ago, and the bullet pierced through his forehead above the left eye. But instead of rushing to a hospital to remove the shrapnel and get treated, the teenager decided against it, and only approached the doctors in September last week after he started getting unbearable headaches and vomiting. 


“The 16-year-old patient (name withheld for privacy) was brought to the emergency reception with complaints of headache, nausea and vomiting and fever for one month. Three months ago, he had an accident while trying out a firearm he had designed. After watching a few online videos on how to build a gun with readily available materials like metal pipes, rods and matchsticks, he built one for himself and decided to try it out in his backyard. The homemade firearm backfired and, in the process, he injured himself in the forehead. The exact details of the events are being investigated by the police at the moment,” informed consultant neurosurgeon Dr Pranav Rai at Central Referral Hospital (CRH), Gangtok, Sikkim, who along with his team conducted the surgery to remove the bullet from the patient’s skull. 

 

He further added, “Following the injury, the patient never lost consciousness and appeared normal except for the small skin wound in the left forehead and so he decided not to go to the hospital then. He took over the counter medications with which his wound healed with a superficial scar. He was alright for some time but soon started to experience a headache associated with nausea and vomiting.”

 

“He also had on and off high-grade fever with chills and rigor. Over the counter medications gave only temporary relief and over time his symptoms worsened progressively. Only when the medications stopped working, did he come to the hospital,” said Dr Rai.  

 

The CT scan and X-ray taken on September 22 reported of a metallic foreign body inside the skull.

 

“Contrast enhanced CT scan of the brain showed multiple pockets of pus with thickened capsules surrounding the projectile. There was also significant edema of the surrounding brain causing dangerous mass effect and impending cerebral herniation, all of which can be life threatening. He was explained and prepared for surgery a day later,” said Dr Rai. 

 

He added, “A left frontal craniotomy and removal of the projectile was performed. There were multiple encapsulated pockets of thick pus surrounding the projectile. High magnification operating neurosurgical microscope was used to carefully explore the brain without injuring the delicate vital structures. The country made projectile measuring around 2 cm long was removed successfully. Pus was drained from the cavities and the abscess capsules were excised using fine dissection. The cavities were then flushed with clean saline. The entry wound on the skull was in the form of a defect about 1.5 cm in diameter. This defect was repaired with a titanium mesh plate and screws.”

 

“The patient made a remarkable recovery from the surgery without any complications and neurological deficits,” said Dr Rai.

 

“Fortune favours the brave but not the foolish. He was fortunate enough to be alive after such a mishap in the first place. But his decision to avoid medical investigation and treatment nearly cost him his life. Ignorance and fear can often be bigger culprits than the actual problem itself,” stressed Dr Rai.

 

He explained, “Brain abscess is a serious condition and very often can be lethal. The human brain has a defensive fortress in the form of blood brain barrier which prevents entry of microorganisms. However, in certain conditions microbes do enter the brain and cause infection. Most common sources are the infections spreading directly from the ear and nose. In trauma organisms may enter the calvarium directly because of a penetrating injury or via the various interconnected sinus systems. Distant spread from other parts of the body may also occur. Most commonly the heart, lungs, bones and abdomen are involved. Common microorganisms are commensal of the skin and mucous linings. Microorganisms found in the soil and water may also be the causative agent. Tuberculosis and fungal infections are also common agents of abscess formation. Rapid multiplication and local immune response can lead to pus and abscess formation. Delay in treatment may lead to volume expansion of the abscess. Irritation of the surrounding brain tissue can lead to swelling or cerebral edema. The cumulative result may lead to fatal mass effect and brain herniation. Therefore, prompt diagnosis and treatment are mandatory to save life and prevent significant morbidity.”



------------------------------------------------


SUPPORT MY "PATREON

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=30745663


Follow us @


Website:-

https://www.goalpost.co.in/


Facebook:-

https://www.facebook.com/GoalPostMedia


YouTube Channel- "GOAL POST MEDIA"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FDV7stVED8&t=58s


Kindly do support us in our endeavour to bring out more unusual, rare and bizarre, but true, cases to you. "SUBSCRIBE" "SHARE" "COMMENT" & "LIKE"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rare surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years

Rare  surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years Story by Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 15 th  March 2018 A mishap when he was barely one year old in the year 1979, left 39-year-old Rajendra Panchal of Pune in the state of Maharashtra in India, not only with a very narrow mouth but also turned him into an introvert after facing taunts for his facial looks from those around him. With barely able to open his mouth, Rajendra had been living on a liquid diet for the past 38 years till a chanced visit to a dentist for a severe toothache set him on a chain of action, culminating in a rare surgery to open his mouth and enable him to eat solid food after 38 long years. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Dr. J B Garde who conducted the corrective surgery on Rajendra says, “It is a rare case seen 1 in 25 lakhs. However, normally in such cases it is diagnosed and treated without much delay. But, here, the patient has persisted with the condition for 38

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path Sumesh Rajan Mumbai: 7 February 2021  A glacial burst in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand state in India on February 7 has caused massive havoc on its downhill path along the Dhauliganga and Rishiganga rivers.  The disaster occured after a portion of the Nanda Devi glacier broke off in Tapovan area of Joshimath in Uttarakhand.  The Tapovan power plant being constructed over the Dhauligana river and the Rishiganga power project across the Rishiganga river -- a tributary of Dhauliganga -- have been damaged completely with sludge overwhelming the projects, say local officials.  Over 150 people are said to have lost their lives in this disaster and scores are missing. Ten bodies have been recovered so far from the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) power project site at Tapovan, said the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) officials. The missing persons are believed to be labourers working at the dam sites and villagers along the river. T

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.