Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

Doctors do rare surgery to remove 16 cms long knife from man's liver which he had swallowed two months ago

Doctors do rare surgery to remove 16 cms long knife from man's liver which he had swallowed two months ago

Sagaya FernandoMumbai: 29 July 2020     

Through a rare and a challenging surgery, doctors in India were able to save a 28-year-old man who had swallowed a 16 centimetres long knife nearly two months ago.


The man had some psychological issues. A daily wage earner, he was at home in a small town in the outskirts of New Delhi, following the COVID-19 lock down doing nothing.

"Nearly 2 months ago, unknown to anyone at home, he swallowed a kitchen knife gulping it down with water. After a month and half developed, he developed pain in the abdomen along with fever and mild vomiting," said Dr Nihar Ranjan Dash, Professor - Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery and Liver Transplant, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, who conducted the surgery along with his team.

He added, "The patient was initially taken to Safdarjung Hospital, in New Delhi itself, where an X-ray showed a knife blade lodged in the liver. He was brought to our hospital in a critical condition on July 12."

"The CT scan showed the blade of the knife in the liver and the handle in duodenum. This had caused a liver abscess, severe anemia and sepsis. A COVID-19 test was done to rule out corona virus infection," said Dr Dash.

"First, to optimize the patient's condition for surgery, the liver abscess and the effusion were drained by the radiologist. With antibiotics, IV nutrition and transfusion, his sepsis improved but became static," said he.

"Saw type edges can cut while pulling thereby damaging the internal organs leading to chance of uncontrollable bleeding, and chance for further sepsis. As it was very risky for removal of the knife by endoscopy for possible bleeding, liver tear, and bowel tear, so this procedure was not carried out," said Dr Dash.

He pointed out that the 16 centimetres long knife was just millimetres away from big blood vessels in the liver and bile ducts.

"The radiologist first put tubes to take out the liver pus 100 ml a day. Tube to take out water from the chest. Gave blood transfusion and nutrition through blood called TPN and continuous psychiatrist counselling," informed Dr Dash.

"On July 19 we operated on him with all arrangements of possible inoperative problems of severe bleeding and need to cut the liver if required and the endoscopy on table. We took out the knife through a hole in the duodenum, ensured hemostasis, closed it and put a tube for feeding during the healing period," said Dr Dash.

The surgery lasted nearly three hours. Dr Dash was assisted by Gastrointestinal Surgery - Head of Department Dr Peush Sahni, Anaesthesiology, Pain Medicine and Critical Care - HoD Prof. (Dr) Rajeshwari Subramanium and her team, Gastroenterology HoD Prof. (Dr) Anoop Saraya and team, Radiology HoD Prof. Arun Kumar Gupta and team, and Psychiatry HoD Prof. (Dr) R K Chadda and his team.

The psychiatrists were constantly taking care of the patient from the date of admission on July 12 till day before surgery and after to avoid further reaction from the patient.

"There have been reports of small needles and fish bone going into the liver after perforating the duodenum. But such a big sharp knife ingestion has not been reported. We are searching for more medical literature in this regard," informed Dr Dash.

"The knife could have easily perforated the esophagus and gone into the trachea, heart or big vessels, on its journey from mouth to liver via duodenum," said he.

"The operation was not difficult by our standard. But we were ready for any eventuality like torrential bleeding from liver or cutting through liver to retrieve it and check bleeding or bile leak," said Dr Dash, adding that team effort of emergency, psychiatry, anaesthesia, covid test team, radiology, gastromedicine and surgery helped in proper management.

"Covid testing was done on the patient twice first on admission, and the second one day before surgery. Both were negative. Even though two tests were done, operating in Covid era, there remains 30 per cent risk to the surgeon and the patient," said he.

"Post-surgery, he is recovering well. The pus and chest tubes have been taken out and now he is able to eat food by mouth. He is also able to walk around, We are also watching for any delayed complications if at all occurs," informed Dr Dash, adding that the patient will be discharged soon.


(Doctor did not reveal the name of the patient so as to maintain his privacy) 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rare surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years

Rare  surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years Story by Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 15 th  March 2018 A mishap when he was barely one year old in the year 1979, left 39-year-old Rajendra Panchal of Pune in the state of Maharashtra in India, not only with a very narrow mouth but also turned him into an introvert after facing taunts for his facial looks from those around him. With barely able to open his mouth, Rajendra had been living on a liquid diet for the past 38 years till a chanced visit to a dentist for a severe toothache set him on a chain of action, culminating in a rare surgery to open his mouth and enable him to eat solid food after 38 long years. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Dr. J B Garde who conducted the corrective surgery on Rajendra says, “It is a rare case seen 1 in 25 lakhs. However, normally in such cases it is diagnosed and treated without much delay. But, here, the patient has persisted with the condition for 38

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path Sumesh Rajan Mumbai: 7 February 2021  A glacial burst in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand state in India on February 7 has caused massive havoc on its downhill path along the Dhauliganga and Rishiganga rivers.  The disaster occured after a portion of the Nanda Devi glacier broke off in Tapovan area of Joshimath in Uttarakhand.  The Tapovan power plant being constructed over the Dhauligana river and the Rishiganga power project across the Rishiganga river -- a tributary of Dhauliganga -- have been damaged completely with sludge overwhelming the projects, say local officials.  Over 150 people are said to have lost their lives in this disaster and scores are missing. Ten bodies have been recovered so far from the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) power project site at Tapovan, said the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) officials. The missing persons are believed to be labourers working at the dam sites and villagers along the river. T

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.