Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

Accident severs driver’s hand; doctors reattach it in 10 hours long surgery


Sumesh RajanMumbai: 29 June 2020


Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu6089HSegU


In an extraordinary accomplishment especially during the unprecedented Covid-19 lockdown period, doctors in India reattached a truck driver’s hand which had got severed in an accident.


24-year-old Tanmay Das, a truck driver by profession, was driving his truck returning home at Salboni village in Medinapur district of West Bengal, India, on June 1 evening. Nearing home at around 7 pm, while driving, he put his right hand out to indicate the turn he was about to make ahead. Unfortunately, at that very moment, another truck came from the side and struck his vehicle, severing his hand a couple of inches below the wrist.

Fortunately for Das, one of the villagers picked up the severed hand and placed in a bag of crushed ice, and along with his family rushed him to Kalinga Hospital, Bhuabaneshwar in neighbouring state of Odisha, around 360 kilometers away.

“The patient was brought to our hospital at around 2.15 am on June 2. After arranging for blood, and stabilising the patient, we started the surgery to reattach his arm at 7 am. The operation was completed at around 5.30 pm,” informed Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon Dr Akshay Kumar Rout of Kalinga Hospital.

Dr Rout was assisted by orthopaedic surgeon Dr Gayadhar Behera, anaesthetist Dr Karunakar and their team.

“A person from Salbani who had benefitted from my treatment for a different injury and had knowledge of how to preserve severed body parts due to the awareness camps that I had been conducting in the area before the lockdown period, guided Das and his family in how to preserve his severed hand in ice, and rushed him to the hospital,” said Dr Rout.

“I was a bit nervous while conducting the surgery, as no Covid-19 test was done on Das, as it was a case of emergency. However, the test was done later, and it has come negative,” he added.

“The surgery is a success, and the patient is now able to do mild physiotherapy by himself like squeezing a ball. After completion of one month of the surgery, we will start physiotherapy sessions on his operated hand so that he regains the full use of his hand,” said Dr Rout.

Your support means a lot to us, and will go a long way to do more extraordinary stories.


NOTE:- 


Kindly do support us in our endeavour to bring out more unusual, rare and bizarre, but true, cases to you.


SUPPORT MY "PATREON"
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=30745663

Follow us @

Website:-
https://www.goalpost.co.in/

Facebook:-
https://www.facebook.com/GoalPostMedia


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

5 year old girl with a very rare blood clotting disorder successfully treated by doctors in Mumbai

Story by Sumesh Rajan Mumbai:  January 19, 2018 A five year old girl was successfully treated for a very rare birth defect with a very rare blood clotting disorder by doctors at Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital in Mumbai. The child was diagnosed one among 200 rare medically recorded cases globally. Deepika Yadav from Raichur district in the south Indian state of Karnataka was having right sided brachial plexus injury and Factor VII deficiency. Brachial plexus injury is about nerves of the upper limb are stretched inadvertently during difficult delivery leading to poorly functioning arm. Factor VII deficiency is a blood clotting disorder that causes excessive or prolonged bleeding after an injury or surgery. With Factor VII deficiency, the body either doesn’t produce enough Factor VII, or something is interfering with factor VII, often another medical condition. Factor VII is a protein produced in the liver that plays an important role in helping blood to clot. It’s one o

Doctors remove 1 kg hairball from 6-year-old girl who weighed only 14 kgs

Video Link :-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXsGZpcpWDs Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 18 September 2018 In a very rare medical case, doctors in India removed a lump of hairball weighing 1 kg and about a meter long from the stomach of a 6 year-old-girl who was suffering from trichophagia along with wheat allergy. The girl from Dad village on the outskirts of Ludhiana city in Punjab, India, was diagnosed with wheat allergy in April this year.  “Her parents brought her to me in the last week of August with severe abdominal pain and a lump in the stomach. They also informed that she has been eating her hair, which in medical terms is called trichophagia,” informed Dr Daljit Singh of Anmol Hospital, Ludhiana, who conducted the surgery. He further added, “She was very underweight and weak for her age. Though she was 6 years old, she weighed only 14 kilograms.” “We got an ultrasound test done which showed some mass in her stomach. Because of her history of e