Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

Elephant fallen into well saved by Archimedes’ Principle

Elephant fallen into well saved by Archimedes’ Principle

Sagaya FernandoMumbai: 3 February 2020                                              watch video:-

                                                                                       https://youtu.be/e8IzxVsgoyQ


The ancient Greek mathematician Archimedes came to the rescue of a juvenile elephant that had fallen into a well with a few feet of water, in India.

Making use of Archimedes’ Principle, forest officials in the state of Jharkhand rescued the young elephant in a matter of hours which would have otherwise taken a day or two.

Archimedes, born in 3rd century BC, is most famous for discovering the law of hydrostatics, sometimes known as ‘Archimedes’ principle’, stating that a body immersed in fluid loses weight equal to the weight of the amount of fluid it displaces. Archimedes is supposed to have made this discovery when stepping into his bath, causing him to exclaim ‘Eureka!’ Archimedes’ Principle, also known as the physical law of buoyancy, says that anybody partly or completely submerged in a fluid is acted upon by an upward force. The magnitude of the upward force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the body.

“On January 27 night a herd of elephants were passing through Bharno block of Gumla district. In the darkness, a juvenile elephant aged about 7 to 8 years fell into a 25 feet deep open well near Amaliya village. We were informed about it, but as it was pitch-dark we could start the rescue efforts only in the morning. Our team reached the spot at 5 am and kept a watch on the trapped elephant,” informed Gumla Divisional Forest Officer Srikant Verma.

He added, “Based on the sounds being made by the trapped elephant we understood that it was not hurt. In the meantime, we brought an excavator to dig a ramp into the well to bring out the elephant. But when we noticed that the elephant was buoyant in the well water, and responding well, we decided to pump in more water into the well from another well near well. We installed three pump sets to transfer water from the other well to the one where the elephant was trapped. In about 2 hours and 15 minutes, as the water level rose, the juvenile elephant also floated to the top.”

“Though we had created a ramp at the edge of the well, the elephant scared at the sight of the excavator, made its own efforts using its trunk and forelegs to come out of the well and made a run to the forest nearby. Fortunately, the elephant was unhurt, and the rescue efforts concluded in a short period. Otherwise, digging a ramp into the well would have taken 25 to 30 hours, and the young elephant would have been stressed up more,” said DFO Verma.

The forest officials are being praised for their scientific thinking and simple rescue effort to save the trapped juvenile elephant. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rare surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years

Rare  surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years Story by Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 15 th  March 2018 A mishap when he was barely one year old in the year 1979, left 39-year-old Rajendra Panchal of Pune in the state of Maharashtra in India, not only with a very narrow mouth but also turned him into an introvert after facing taunts for his facial looks from those around him. With barely able to open his mouth, Rajendra had been living on a liquid diet for the past 38 years till a chanced visit to a dentist for a severe toothache set him on a chain of action, culminating in a rare surgery to open his mouth and enable him to eat solid food after 38 long years. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Dr. J B Garde who conducted the corrective surgery on Rajendra says, “It is a rare case seen 1 in 25 lakhs. However, normally in such cases it is diagnosed and treated without much delay. But, here, the patient has persisted with the condition for 38

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path Sumesh Rajan Mumbai: 7 February 2021  A glacial burst in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand state in India on February 7 has caused massive havoc on its downhill path along the Dhauliganga and Rishiganga rivers.  The disaster occured after a portion of the Nanda Devi glacier broke off in Tapovan area of Joshimath in Uttarakhand.  The Tapovan power plant being constructed over the Dhauligana river and the Rishiganga power project across the Rishiganga river -- a tributary of Dhauliganga -- have been damaged completely with sludge overwhelming the projects, say local officials.  Over 150 people are said to have lost their lives in this disaster and scores are missing. Ten bodies have been recovered so far from the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) power project site at Tapovan, said the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) officials. The missing persons are believed to be labourers working at the dam sites and villagers along the river. T

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.