Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

4-year-old gets back his hand in one piece

4-year-old gets back his hand in one piece

VIDEO Link:-

Doctors reattach the child’s severed limb in a complex more than 6 hours surgery

Sagaya Fernando                                       
Mumbai: 7 February 2020

4-year-old Shaurya was playing in his father Mukesh Undre’s farm at Manjri in the outskirts of Pune city in India on January 31 evening, when innocently he started fidgeting with a chaff cutting machine in the field. Not knowing the danger he was putting himself into, he started playing with it by rotating it. Instantaneously, the sharp blades cut off the toddler’s left arm at his wrist, severing his hand. Hearing him scream in pain, his parents rushed to see his hand cut in two and bleeding, the bone exposed and flesh dangling.

The parents rushed the child and the amputated hand to Noble Hospital – about 8 kilometers away -- where he was immediately attended by micro vascular surgeon Dr Abhishek Ghosh.

“The child had suffered an avulsion amputation of his left hand when it got accidentally stuck in a grass cutting machine. His left hand was completely avulsed with part of the bones attached to the body while the hand skin and muscle got detached,” said Dr Ghosh, who conducted the surgery to reattach the toddler’s hand.

He added, “It was very difficult to rejoin the hand because all the muscle, blood vessels and soft tissue of the palm were torn off and there was no blood vessel which could be connected. Still seeing the young age of the child it was decided to attempt to salvage the hand. The patient was taken up for surgery immediately and given anesthesia. The amputated hand was closely observed under the microscope and a small blood vessel inside the muscle was noticed. This tiny blood vessel was then joined to the main artery of the forearm with the help of a long vein graft taken from the leg. The circulation of the hand started and the veins were then painstakingly joined under the microscope. The surgery lasted for more than six hours.”

“The hand has survived and the patient is recuperating well in the hospital. The surgery was very difficult as the vessels are extremely small in such a young child and also because the hand was yanked out of the body and there was a big gap between the blood vessels of the hand,” said Dr Ghosh.

“The patient will be in the hospital for another one week and then discharged. He will require physiotherapy for his functions to develop. The parents and relatives of the child are very happy that the hand the little child could be saved,” added Dr Ghosh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rare surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years

Rare  surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years Story by Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 15 th  March 2018 A mishap when he was barely one year old in the year 1979, left 39-year-old Rajendra Panchal of Pune in the state of Maharashtra in India, not only with a very narrow mouth but also turned him into an introvert after facing taunts for his facial looks from those around him. With barely able to open his mouth, Rajendra had been living on a liquid diet for the past 38 years till a chanced visit to a dentist for a severe toothache set him on a chain of action, culminating in a rare surgery to open his mouth and enable him to eat solid food after 38 long years. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Dr. J B Garde who conducted the corrective surgery on Rajendra says, “It is a rare case seen 1 in 25 lakhs. However, normally in such cases it is diagnosed and treated without much delay. But, here, the patient has persisted with the condition for 38

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path Sumesh Rajan Mumbai: 7 February 2021  A glacial burst in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand state in India on February 7 has caused massive havoc on its downhill path along the Dhauliganga and Rishiganga rivers.  The disaster occured after a portion of the Nanda Devi glacier broke off in Tapovan area of Joshimath in Uttarakhand.  The Tapovan power plant being constructed over the Dhauligana river and the Rishiganga power project across the Rishiganga river -- a tributary of Dhauliganga -- have been damaged completely with sludge overwhelming the projects, say local officials.  Over 150 people are said to have lost their lives in this disaster and scores are missing. Ten bodies have been recovered so far from the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) power project site at Tapovan, said the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) officials. The missing persons are believed to be labourers working at the dam sites and villagers along the river. T

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.