Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

Doctors remove button from 22-year-old’s nose stuck there for almost 20 years!

Sagaya Fernando
Mumbai: 7 January 2019

In a bizarre case, doctors at BR Life SUT Hospital at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala in India, removed a plastic button lodged in the nasal cavity of a 22-year-old woman. The young woman was having acute breathing difficulty and there was a foul smell emanating from her nose for the last twenty years. 

It is believed that the button got lodged in her nose when she was aged one or two years. The difficulties increased as she grew.

Though her parents tried all possible treatments, none of them gave her relief. Recently, she decided to try her luck with the ENT department of BR Life SUT Hospital. 

Dr Ammu Sreeparvathi, the Associate Consultant at the hospital’s ENT Dept, found that the growth inside the patient's nose and the bad smell from it was very unusual and went for detailed investigations, including a scan.

She felt sure that there was a ‘foreign body’ inside that growth and conducted a Rhinolith surgery to remove it.

 “The patient had approached me on December 12 with complaints of halitosis for many years, and as her marriage was at the end of the month her relatives had thought it fit to get the condition treated before that. As she had this complaint since many years she was shown to local hospitals and evaluated in dental, gastro-medicine and ENT departments. According to the patient she was always given multiple courses of antibiotics as it was considered as sinusitis, with which she had temporary relief for few days following which halitosis re-occurred,” said Dr Sreeparvathi.

She added, “On examination, her oral cavity and oropharynx were within normal limits. Her nasal cavity showed unilateral (right) mucoid discharge. A diagnostic nasal endoscopy was done and mucoid discharge was suctioned out and a greyish mass was seen. On palpating it with a probe it was found stony hard (rhinolith) and painful for the patient.” 

“As this was unusual for a 22-year-old, a CT PNS was suggested”, said Dr Sreeparvathi.

The CT scan conducted by consultant radiologist Dr Manju Annie Rajan revealed a rounded foreign body with surrounding dense irregular calcific margins, measuring 16 mm x 18 mm x 6 mm in the posterior aspect of the right nasal cavity.

In the light of the findings the patient and her family members were enquired regarding any history of insertion of foreign body in the nose but neither the patient nor the relatives had any memory of such an incident.

“The Endoscopic Rhinolith removal under general anaesthesia was carried out on December 13. The procedure lasted for about 45 minutes. On endoscopy the choana of the right nasal cavity was not visualised due to the mass. For easy maneuvering the inferior turbinate on the right side was outfractured and the rhinolith was broken into pieces and removed with Tilley forceps, wherein a blackish-brown foreign body was noted within the rhinolith and was maneuvered out with a LUCS forceps and removed completely,” said Dr Sreeparvathi.

When it was removed, the pus collected for long drained out. After removal, the foreign body was identified as a button measuring 1.7 cm diameter with 6 mm thickness at centre portion.

“The area, where the button had got lodged, had granulation and minimal bleeding was noted. Multiple saline washes were given post-procedure and hemostasis achieved. The patient was stable post-operatively and discharged the very next day with oral antibiotics and nasal wash,” said Dr Sreeparvathi.

After the button was removed, the patient her relatives were surprised and relieved. The patient was in a shock as she had never expected a button to be in her nose for so long with no memory of inserting it.

“A week after the surgery, the patient was reviewed. She is very happy as her halitosis and the foul smell surrounding her had disappeared and was confidant to step into marriage bliss,” informed Dr Sreeparvathi. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

5 year old girl with a very rare blood clotting disorder successfully treated by doctors in Mumbai

Story by Sumesh Rajan Mumbai:  January 19, 2018 A five year old girl was successfully treated for a very rare birth defect with a very rare blood clotting disorder by doctors at Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital in Mumbai. The child was diagnosed one among 200 rare medically recorded cases globally. Deepika Yadav from Raichur district in the south Indian state of Karnataka was having right sided brachial plexus injury and Factor VII deficiency. Brachial plexus injury is about nerves of the upper limb are stretched inadvertently during difficult delivery leading to poorly functioning arm. Factor VII deficiency is a blood clotting disorder that causes excessive or prolonged bleeding after an injury or surgery. With Factor VII deficiency, the body either doesn’t produce enough Factor VII, or something is interfering with factor VII, often another medical condition. Factor VII is a protein produced in the liver that plays an important role in helping blood to clot. It’s one o

Doctors remove 1 kg hairball from 6-year-old girl who weighed only 14 kgs

Video Link :-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXsGZpcpWDs Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 18 September 2018 In a very rare medical case, doctors in India removed a lump of hairball weighing 1 kg and about a meter long from the stomach of a 6 year-old-girl who was suffering from trichophagia along with wheat allergy. The girl from Dad village on the outskirts of Ludhiana city in Punjab, India, was diagnosed with wheat allergy in April this year.  “Her parents brought her to me in the last week of August with severe abdominal pain and a lump in the stomach. They also informed that she has been eating her hair, which in medical terms is called trichophagia,” informed Dr Daljit Singh of Anmol Hospital, Ludhiana, who conducted the surgery. He further added, “She was very underweight and weak for her age. Though she was 6 years old, she weighed only 14 kilograms.” “We got an ultrasound test done which showed some mass in her stomach. Because of her history of e