Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

Doctors save woman hit on face with a flying pressure cooker whistle

Doctors save woman hit on face with a flying pressure cooker whistle
The metallic object had pierced her skull through the eye

Sumesh Rajan
Mumbai: 9 September 2019

In a complex surgery carried out by doctors at Ranchi city in India, the life a 57-year-old woman -- whose skull was pierced by a flying pressure cooker whistle – was saved.

Munda Birsi of Murhu village in Khunti district of Jharkhand, India, was preparing food at her home on September 4 afternoon when the freak accident took place. She was taken to a local hospital where the doctors provided first aid and recommended that she be taken to a better equipped super-specialty hospital. The next day, the patient’s family members took her to Bhagwan Mahavir Medica Super Specialty Hospital at Booty More in Ranchi, located about 56 kilometers north of the village.

“The woman was cooking dal (pulses) in a pressure cooker. After putting the cooker on the gas stove, she got busy cutting hay with the help of a hay cutter in her back yard. The cooking whistle sound of the pressure cooker got drowned by the noisy hay cutter machine. After an hour, she remembered about the cooker and rushed to the kitchen. And, while she was taking the pressure cooker off the gas stove, the boiling steam inside the cooker burst the whistle with full force, piercing the woman’s face and got stuck deep inside the skull bone that separate the eyes from the brain,” informed Dr Anindya Anuradha, Head of the Ophthalmology Department of Bhagwan Mahavir Medica Super Specialty Hospital.

She further added, “The patient, who had bled profusely and was unconscious, was admitted to our hospital on September 5 evening. And, the surgery to extricate the metallic object lodged in her frontal bone structure of the skull was conducted on September 6. In the complex surgery, we could save her life, but not her left eye.”

Oculoplastic Surgeon Dr Ashish Joy Soren who conducted the complex surgery, said, “We primarily treated her with intravenous antibiotics and painkillers as the injury was two days old and the whistle was densely adhered to the surrounding tissues. The metallic whistle was stuck between the left eye and bridge of the nose and had damaged some tissues. Firstly we had to release adhesions around the whistle and ensure that no bleeding should occur while extricating the metallic object. We had kept backup plans if blood would spurt. It was a bit difficult to pull out the whistle as vigorous maneuver would damage the surrounding tissues. We gently pulled the whistle and packed the wound opening with the gauze pieces.”

The size of the whistle was bigger than a bullet. It was around 70 millimeters in length and 20 millimeters in diameter and was stuck in such a way that it was not visible from outside. A CT scan showed the metallic object lodged between her eyes and brain.

The surgery was successful and we could save the life of woman, though her left eye could not be saved, said Dr Soren.

The patient made a quick recovery and fast discharged on September 7, said the doctor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rare surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years

Rare  surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years Story by Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 15 th  March 2018 A mishap when he was barely one year old in the year 1979, left 39-year-old Rajendra Panchal of Pune in the state of Maharashtra in India, not only with a very narrow mouth but also turned him into an introvert after facing taunts for his facial looks from those around him. With barely able to open his mouth, Rajendra had been living on a liquid diet for the past 38 years till a chanced visit to a dentist for a severe toothache set him on a chain of action, culminating in a rare surgery to open his mouth and enable him to eat solid food after 38 long years. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Dr. J B Garde who conducted the corrective surgery on Rajendra says, “It is a rare case seen 1 in 25 lakhs. However, normally in such cases it is diagnosed and treated without much delay. But, here, the patient has persisted with the condition for 38

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path Sumesh Rajan Mumbai: 7 February 2021  A glacial burst in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand state in India on February 7 has caused massive havoc on its downhill path along the Dhauliganga and Rishiganga rivers.  The disaster occured after a portion of the Nanda Devi glacier broke off in Tapovan area of Joshimath in Uttarakhand.  The Tapovan power plant being constructed over the Dhauligana river and the Rishiganga power project across the Rishiganga river -- a tributary of Dhauliganga -- have been damaged completely with sludge overwhelming the projects, say local officials.  Over 150 people are said to have lost their lives in this disaster and scores are missing. Ten bodies have been recovered so far from the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) power project site at Tapovan, said the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) officials. The missing persons are believed to be labourers working at the dam sites and villagers along the river. T

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.