Skip to main content

Lesson from Kerala floods : Human activities, climate change has disastrous effects on environment

  Lesson from Kerala floods : Human activities, climate change has disastrous effects on environment   Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 19 October 2021   Overexploitation of natural resources and haphazard development by humans has led to climate change, resulting in long-lasting consequences on the environment. This is increasing health hazards and natural disasters, and more, day by day. The torrential flooding being witnessed recently in the state of Kerala in India is a prime example of this, say many experts.   This is not the first time that Kerala, a state of 34 million people, has been devastated by floods. It saw the worst floods in a century in 2018 when severe rains caused flash floods and landslides, killing nearly 500 people and leaving a million homeless. The following year, more than 125 people were killed in flash floods and landslides across the state. More than 50 were killed in August last year after landslides struck the hilly Munnar region.   The latest spell of torrential

Doctors save man impaled by bamboo piece passing too close to his heart

Doctors save man impaled by bamboo piece passing too close to his heart


Sagaya Fernando

Mumbai: 8 June 2019

A 38-year-old man who got impaled by a 2 feet long bamboo piece (a part of a ladder) – piercing through his stomach and almost passing close to the aorta – is lucky to be alive due to timely medical attention.

Panchanana Pradhan, a daily wager, on June 2 late evening was painting the outer walls of a house in his village Lastala (in Odisha state of India), mounting on a bamboo ladder. While standing at a height of 7 feet, the ladder rungs (also made of bamboo pieces and nailed together) suddenly gave away and Panchanana came tumbling down with such force that one of the bamboo rungs pierced through his body.

The badly injured and bleeding man was rushed to Veer Surendra Sai Institute of Medical Sciences & Research (VIMSaR) Hospital at Burla town about 37 kms away. After giving primary aid, the doctors there referred him to a better equipped Srirama Chandra Bhanj (SCB) Medical College & Hospital at Cuttack (a further 274 kms away).

“Doctors at VIMSaR did a CT scan of Panchanana’s abdomen and cut short the bamboo piece protruding out of the body. The CT scan report revealed entry of bamboo stick from right to left upper abdomen piercing the diaphragm on the left side into the thorax. Suspecting heart and lung injury, he was referred to our hospital where we have cardiothoracic and vascular surgery (CTVS) facility,” informed surgeon Dr Srikanta Panda who led the medical team that conducted surgery on the wounded Panchanana.
He added, “The patient was transported by ambulance to reach SCB MCH at 6:30 am on June 3. The patient was having breathlessness, pain in the abdomen, but with stable vital signs. After initial investigations, with CTVS consultation and we arranged 4 units of blood, and the patient was operated under general anesthesia in emergency OT at 12 noon. After opening the abdomen almost a liter of blood bled out, and the bamboo stick was found palpated. The stick was trussed from right partial wall to left upper abdomen piercing the left hemi diaphragm, reaching the left chest cavity.”

“Luckily for the patient, the bamboo piece passed behind the stomach, pancreas and in front of aorta and the inferior vena cava (or IVC) which is a large vein that carries the deoxygenated blood from the lower and middle body into the right atrium of the heart,” stressed Dr Panda.

“The stomach was lacerated probably by an iron nail projection from the bamboo stick. The bamboo stick was extracted gently with precision. The visceral injuries were repaired, intercostal chest tube drainage was given. Abdomen was closed after peritoneal toileting and tube drainage. The primary entry wound was left open. Two units of blood was transfused during the surgery which took about 4 hours. The patient was shifted to ICU for post-surgery treatment and observation, where he is doing well till today. He will be discharged soon,” informed Dr Panda.

Dr Panda was assisted by Dr Ranjit Behera, Dr Sashikanta Behera and Dr Alekha Nayak


(anesthetist).

News Published in Daily Mail
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7121129/Decorator-38-impaled-2ft-long-bamboo-pole-passed-close-heart-India.html?fbclid=IwAR3ugnPIGb6VRXHMdM6xVj2jazZFRNrnNQ2Qwun9KxUq9XlfpBagwPHi_eI

https://en.mogaznews.com/World-News/1224421/Decorator-38-impaled-by-a-2ft-long-bamboo-pole-that-passed-close-to-his-heart-.html

https://whatsnew2day.com/decorator-38-impaled-by-a-2ft-long-bamboo-pole-that-passed-close-to-his-heart-in-india

Comments

  1. Wow I can say that this is another great article as expected of this blog.I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.Cheers for sharing with us your wonderful blog.
    Jogo online
    jogo 360 2019
    io games for kids

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doctors remove 1 kg hairball from 6-year-old girl who weighed only 14 kgs

Video Link :-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXsGZpcpWDs Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 18 September 2018 In a very rare medical case, doctors in India removed a lump of hairball weighing 1 kg and about a meter long from the stomach of a 6 year-old-girl who was suffering from trichophagia along with wheat allergy. The girl from Dad village on the outskirts of Ludhiana city in Punjab, India, was diagnosed with wheat allergy in April this year.  “Her parents brought her to me in the last week of August with severe abdominal pain and a lump in the stomach. They also informed that she has been eating her hair, which in medical terms is called trichophagia,” informed Dr Daljit Singh of Anmol Hospital, Ludhiana, who conducted the surgery. He further added, “She was very underweight and weak for her age. Though she was 6 years old, she weighed only 14 kilograms.” “We got an ultrasound test done which showed some mass in her stomach. Because of her history of e

In a rare surgery, underdeveloped fetus removed from a 20-days-old infant in India

In a rare surgery, underdeveloped fetus removed from a 20-days-old infant in India Story by Sagaya Fernando Mumbai:  March 14, 2018 In a rare case of foetus in foetu, a 20-days-old infant underwent surgery for removal of an underdeveloped foetus at Shalby Hospital in Ahmedabad – the capital of the state of Gujarat in India. The infant’s parents took him to the hospital on February 28 with an abnormal swelling in his abdominal area. Medical examinations revealed that the child had been suffering from the rare medical condition called retroperitoneal mature teratoma or foetus in foetu. The rare condition is defined as the presence of one of the twins in the body of the other. This condition occurs in one in five lakh cases and, only around 200 such cases have been recorded in medical history so far. Gastrointestinal Hepatobiliary Consultant and Liver Transplant Surgeon Dr. Bhavin Vasavada conducted the surgery. He said that the CT scan was showed the rare co

Snake rescuer bitten by venomous cobra lives to tell the tale

"Snake rescuer bitten by venomous cobra lives to tell the tale" For video click here:-  >  https://youtu.be/nOWbQMZCLWg Sumesh Rajan Mumbai: August 21, 2018 A snake rescuer in India almost paid with his life when a venomous cobra snake bit him while he was rescuing it. 35-years-old Tushar Patel of Dharampur town in Valsad district of Gujarat is lucky to be alive to tell his tale after being bitten by the venomous snake which he mishandled during the rescue. “For the past 14 years, I have been rescuing snakes in and around Dharampur. Till now I have rescued over 5000 snakes. Spectacled Cobra, Krait, Bamboo Pit Viper, Saw Scaled Viper and Russel’s Viper are some of the most poisonous snakes found in our area. On July 25, I got a call from workers in a scrap godown in Valod Faliya close to my house, about a Spectacled Cobra lurking there. I found the Cobra slithering near a parked car and was rescuing it when it suddenly bit me on my right ha