Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

Doctors safely retrieve open safety pin from 3-year-old’s throat

Doctors safely retrieve open safety pin from 3-year-old’s throat





Sagaya Fernando

Mumbai: 29 October 2018



Three-year-old Akansha Nanaware of Ahmednagar in Maharashtra, India, is playful like any child of her age. But when she started crying ceaselessly on October 25 night, and no amount of cajoling and offer of milk could make her stop bawling her worried parents rushed her to a doctor in the vicinity. A CT Scan suggested by the doctor then revealed the gravity of the situation – the toddler had swallowed an open safety pin and it was lodged in her throat, causing immense pain and discomfort to the little one.



Citing the absence of facilities in Ahmednagar to treat the child, the doctors there referred her to King Edward Memorial (KEM) Hospital in Mumbai, about 261 km away. The very next day, the desperate parents rushed her to the Mumbai hospital in an almost 6 hour’s road journey.



“The girl was playing with her mother and accidentally swallowed a safety pin which had got unfastened from her mother’s mangalsutra (a necklace worn by married women in India). The mother realized something was wrong with her child only after the kid began crying profusely and refused to drink water or milk. The parents then took her daughter to the family doctor, who saw the pin near her chest in the x-ray,” informed Dr Nilam Sathe, Head of the Ear Nose and Throat Department of KEM Hospital, who led the team that conducted the retrieval procedure.



“On going through the scan reports, it was seen that an open safety pin was lodged in the thorax near the start of the esophagus. We decided to do an emergency endoscopy to retrieve the pin to avoid tear of the esophagus tissue which could result in the formation of pus and infection proving fatal to the child,” said Dr Sathe.



She added, “The endoscopy was conducted on October 27th morning, and the safety pin was successfully removed without causing any internal injury to the child. Had the safety pin not been removed on time, the infant could have died of internal bleeding. After the procedure, for one day we did not give her anything by mouth, and the next day morning we started giving her a liquid diet and now she is having everything as normal.”



“Once the foreign body was removed, Akansha became her normal self. She is absolutely fine now,” said Dr Sathe. 

Comments

  1. Always read the supplement labels to see if there are warnings that would make them inappropriate for you. And, of course if you have any medical conditions or take medications or other supplements it's always a good idea to speak with your doctor before starting anything new.
    Jogos 2019
    360 jogos gratis
    games io online

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rare surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years

Rare  surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years Story by Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 15 th  March 2018 A mishap when he was barely one year old in the year 1979, left 39-year-old Rajendra Panchal of Pune in the state of Maharashtra in India, not only with a very narrow mouth but also turned him into an introvert after facing taunts for his facial looks from those around him. With barely able to open his mouth, Rajendra had been living on a liquid diet for the past 38 years till a chanced visit to a dentist for a severe toothache set him on a chain of action, culminating in a rare surgery to open his mouth and enable him to eat solid food after 38 long years. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Dr. J B Garde who conducted the corrective surgery on Rajendra says, “It is a rare case seen 1 in 25 lakhs. However, normally in such cases it is diagnosed and treated without much delay. But, here, the patient has persisted with the condition for 38

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path Sumesh Rajan Mumbai: 7 February 2021  A glacial burst in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand state in India on February 7 has caused massive havoc on its downhill path along the Dhauliganga and Rishiganga rivers.  The disaster occured after a portion of the Nanda Devi glacier broke off in Tapovan area of Joshimath in Uttarakhand.  The Tapovan power plant being constructed over the Dhauligana river and the Rishiganga power project across the Rishiganga river -- a tributary of Dhauliganga -- have been damaged completely with sludge overwhelming the projects, say local officials.  Over 150 people are said to have lost their lives in this disaster and scores are missing. Ten bodies have been recovered so far from the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) power project site at Tapovan, said the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) officials. The missing persons are believed to be labourers working at the dam sites and villagers along the river. T

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.