Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

15-year-old boy breathes easy six years after twig got stuck in his nose

"15-year-old boy breathes easy six years after twig got stuck in his nose"


Sagaya Fernando
Mumbai: August 28, 2018

For six long years, 15-year-old Saroj Savant of Nepal had to endure inflammation and pain after he fell from a tree and a twig pierced through his nose. Doctors in Nepal operated and took out half of the twig that was protruding out, but the remaining portion stuck deep inside the nose could not be removed by the several doctors whom he had visited in his home country.

Finally, his family members brought him to Sassoon General Hospital in Pune, India, over 1500 km south, where the doctors succeeded in removing the broken twig piece in a challenging endoscopic surgery recently.

“Saroj came to the Ear Nose and Throat Out-Patient Department of our hospital with a history of falling off from a tree 6 years ago and complaint of foul-smelling discharge from his nose and mouth,” informed Dr Samir Joshi head of the ENT Department, saying that while the boy survived the fall, a wooden piece pierced his eyes via the nose to the vertebral column.

“The patient visited local hospitals in Nepal where they removed part of impacted wooden stick from the inner side of the left eye and was discharged with oral medication. He then consulted many doctors in Nepal, but not satisfied with the treatment finally approached us. On conducting a CT scan, we found a foreign body lodged in the nose extending up to oropharynx. We immediately decided to remove the foreign body at the earliest,” said Dr Joshi.

“An endoscopy surgery was carried out to remove the wedged wood which was 8 centimetres long. We had to struggle for half an hour to remove the wooden piece. The surgery was risky as it could have led to the breaking of the vertebral column, which could have led to paralysis of the patient,” added Dr Joshi, who along with surgeons Dr Rahul Thakur and Dr Gunit Kaur, and anaesthetist Dr Prajakta conducted the procedure.

He said that this was a very rare case as the foreign body remained at a critical place for around six years.

“The boy had infections and his face had injury marks from the accident. However, after the surgery, the boy is now stable. The nose and eyes were initially in a bandage. After a few days, we removed it and the boy is now able to breathe normally,” said Dr Joshi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rare surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years

Rare  surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years Story by Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 15 th  March 2018 A mishap when he was barely one year old in the year 1979, left 39-year-old Rajendra Panchal of Pune in the state of Maharashtra in India, not only with a very narrow mouth but also turned him into an introvert after facing taunts for his facial looks from those around him. With barely able to open his mouth, Rajendra had been living on a liquid diet for the past 38 years till a chanced visit to a dentist for a severe toothache set him on a chain of action, culminating in a rare surgery to open his mouth and enable him to eat solid food after 38 long years. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Dr. J B Garde who conducted the corrective surgery on Rajendra says, “It is a rare case seen 1 in 25 lakhs. However, normally in such cases it is diagnosed and treated without much delay. But, here, the patient has persisted with the condition for 38

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path Sumesh Rajan Mumbai: 7 February 2021  A glacial burst in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand state in India on February 7 has caused massive havoc on its downhill path along the Dhauliganga and Rishiganga rivers.  The disaster occured after a portion of the Nanda Devi glacier broke off in Tapovan area of Joshimath in Uttarakhand.  The Tapovan power plant being constructed over the Dhauligana river and the Rishiganga power project across the Rishiganga river -- a tributary of Dhauliganga -- have been damaged completely with sludge overwhelming the projects, say local officials.  Over 150 people are said to have lost their lives in this disaster and scores are missing. Ten bodies have been recovered so far from the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) power project site at Tapovan, said the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) officials. The missing persons are believed to be labourers working at the dam sites and villagers along the river. T

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.