Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

Doctors in India operate to shrink football size head of 2-year-old girl from Tajikistan

Doctors in India operate to shrink football size head of 2-year-old girl from Tajikistan


Video Link:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56z-LyBbtiE

Sagaya Fernando
Mumbai: August 22, 2018

A 2-year-old girl named Maryam from Tajikistan who was suffering from Congenital Hydrocephalus with megalencephaly (growth developmental disorder in which the brain is abnormally large) was recently operated upon in a rare surgery by doctors in India to reduce her head size and give her a new lease of life.

Baby Maryam was born with Hydrocephalus, a condition in which body fluid gets collected in the brain causing the head size to increase abnormally. For her, mobility was next to impossible, and she had been struggling with this condition since she had been one month old.

“The head is the heaviest part of the body, and if the head becomes too big and heavy, a small child will not be able to develop enough muscles to hold the head. Baby Maryam was never able to turn in bed and was lying straight. Her mother had to hold her head constantly even while sitting on lap. She underwent a small procedure at Tajikistan to drain the fluid, but it was too late. Her head circumference was 72 centimetres and had come down to 65 centimetres. However, by that time her bones had fused and the head couldn’t become small further. This is a very challenging job in little children, as multiple corrective surgeries have to be done to reduce the size of the head,” said Dr Sandeep Vaishya, Executive Director of Neurosurgery at Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon, India, who led the surgical team that operated on Baby Maryam.

“Hydrocephalus is a condition that occurs when fluid builds up in the skull and causes the brain to swell. The name means ‘water on the brain’. Normally the brain fluid keeps on circulating. About 500 ml is produced every day. In some people, the artery is blocked and the fluid gets on collecting in the brain. In children, as the bones are not fused, the size of the brain increases due to this condition. If surgery is done immediately, it reduces the risks and normalcy can be restored. In some cases where it is delayed, the child dies. But in some rare cases, the size of the brain increases and the child survives. However, brain damage can occur as a result of the fluid buildup. This can lead to developmental, physical, and intellectual impairments. It requires treatment to prevent serious complications,” explained Dr Vaishya.

In 2013, Dr Vaishya had successfully operated on baby Roona Begum (from Tripura, India) who had the record of having the largest head in the world (94 cms) at the age of nine months. This case was covered by CNN and Discovery Channel made a documentary on the child. This was seen by Maryam’s parents who then decided to get the surgery done by Dr Vaishya and approached him.

“We were reluctant to perform the surgery as chances of improvement in such cases are extremely low and the risk factors are extremely high. However, the family was ready to give consent despite the risks. We performed eight surgeries on the patient over a period of five months, spanning from March to July. We managed to reduce the size of the head, but the surgery proved to be extremely challenging. At one point, we almost lost her, but she fought back,” said Dr Vaishya.

“Though it is still early, we have noticed some positive changes. Her last CT scan showed good brain development and she has started to lift her head. While there are chances of brain damage, it is her best chance to live a nearly normal life,” he added further.

Being from a poor background Baby Maryam’s family couldn’t afford the cost of the surgery which is about Rs 25 lakhs to Rs 30 lakhs, but the employer of her grandmother who works in Dubai stepped in and bore the cost of the surgery, said Dr Vaishya.

Dr Vaishya has done a similar surgery on a 4-year-old Russian boy called Matvei at a hospital in Moscow in January this year. “He has improved much since the surgery. He is able to walk with assistance and utter some sounds post-surgery,” said he. 

Comments

  1. jogos io gratis
    friv Games to play
    2player game online
    I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog.
    Your posts are very interesting. I really like them. I hope you can upload more and more.The articles bring many tips and lessons which are very useful. It's worth spending time reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The article gives me a lot of useful information, I think it is very necessary for everyone, hope that more people will know your post. This post is very useful, I admire the author, hope you will succeed in the next post, I will continue to follow your post.
    kizi 2 player racing games, 2 player pbs games, friv jogos online

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rare surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years

Rare  surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years Story by Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 15 th  March 2018 A mishap when he was barely one year old in the year 1979, left 39-year-old Rajendra Panchal of Pune in the state of Maharashtra in India, not only with a very narrow mouth but also turned him into an introvert after facing taunts for his facial looks from those around him. With barely able to open his mouth, Rajendra had been living on a liquid diet for the past 38 years till a chanced visit to a dentist for a severe toothache set him on a chain of action, culminating in a rare surgery to open his mouth and enable him to eat solid food after 38 long years. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Dr. J B Garde who conducted the corrective surgery on Rajendra says, “It is a rare case seen 1 in 25 lakhs. However, normally in such cases it is diagnosed and treated without much delay. But, here, the patient has persisted with the condition for 38

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path Sumesh Rajan Mumbai: 7 February 2021  A glacial burst in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand state in India on February 7 has caused massive havoc on its downhill path along the Dhauliganga and Rishiganga rivers.  The disaster occured after a portion of the Nanda Devi glacier broke off in Tapovan area of Joshimath in Uttarakhand.  The Tapovan power plant being constructed over the Dhauligana river and the Rishiganga power project across the Rishiganga river -- a tributary of Dhauliganga -- have been damaged completely with sludge overwhelming the projects, say local officials.  Over 150 people are said to have lost their lives in this disaster and scores are missing. Ten bodies have been recovered so far from the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) power project site at Tapovan, said the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) officials. The missing persons are believed to be labourers working at the dam sites and villagers along the river. T

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.