Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

‘Doctors in India remove 72 coins from man’s stomach’


story by Sumesh Rajan




In a bizarre case, 72 coins and four other metallic objects were surgically removed from the stomach of a 50 year old man from India, on November 30.

Krishna Somalya Sambar, a tribal hailing from Thoratpada, a hamlet in Talasari taluka of Palghar district, close to Mumbai in Maharashtra state, had frequent bouts of abdominal pain and vomiting.  

“He was referred to me for frequent abdominal pain and vomiting. After doing an x-ray, we found that some metal foreign bodies were lodged in his abdomen. We were not sure of its location, and did a gastroscopy. Then we came to know that the entire foreign body was stuck at the pylorus, the distant most part of the stomach,” said Dr. Amit Sharad Kele of Krishna Hospital, Canada Corner, Nashik.

He further added, “We removed the entire foreign body using endoscope and special equipments. In all, 76 metal bodies, including 72 coins and 4 other metallic objects were removed, without a single cut / wound to the patient. It took around three and a half hours for the entire procedure which was done under general anesthesia.”

“He is suffering from bezoar - a gastrointestinal disorder due to pica which is also called as metallophagia, a compulsive disorder of eating non-nutritional substances, for the past 20 years. This made him a habitual eater of iron and metal coins. Some got flushed out of his system in the natural course of excretion but others remained stuck in his abdomen, causing pain and vomiting,” said Dr. Kele.

He added that Sambar's condition was improving and would be discharged soon.


Comments

  1. I am curious to find out what blog system you are utilizing? I'm having some small security problems with my latest site and I'd like to find something more safeguarded. Do you have any suggestions?jogos friv gratis 2019
    Jogos 2019
    jogos friv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately there are just some all-too-common nutrients that we simply don't get enough of. And they're absolutely critical to optimal health and wellness. Especially as we age.
    Here I sifted through the supplements that are available on the market and boiled them down to three that can have the best effect for us.
    kizi 2 unblocked
    games free for kids
    friv kids 2019

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomorrow, be on the look for our final Dog of the Day post. This last post is going to be a special one. I'll be revisiting current shelter dogs who are looking for forever homes, like I did at the beginning--rather than the success stories I've done the past few days--and featuring one dog who is having some medical issues and needs help from the loving humans in his life.
    Jogo para criança
    jogo 360 online
    io games 4 school

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rare surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years

Rare  surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years Story by Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 15 th  March 2018 A mishap when he was barely one year old in the year 1979, left 39-year-old Rajendra Panchal of Pune in the state of Maharashtra in India, not only with a very narrow mouth but also turned him into an introvert after facing taunts for his facial looks from those around him. With barely able to open his mouth, Rajendra had been living on a liquid diet for the past 38 years till a chanced visit to a dentist for a severe toothache set him on a chain of action, culminating in a rare surgery to open his mouth and enable him to eat solid food after 38 long years. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Dr. J B Garde who conducted the corrective surgery on Rajendra says, “It is a rare case seen 1 in 25 lakhs. However, normally in such cases it is diagnosed and treated without much delay. But, here, the patient has persisted with the condition for 38

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path Sumesh Rajan Mumbai: 7 February 2021  A glacial burst in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand state in India on February 7 has caused massive havoc on its downhill path along the Dhauliganga and Rishiganga rivers.  The disaster occured after a portion of the Nanda Devi glacier broke off in Tapovan area of Joshimath in Uttarakhand.  The Tapovan power plant being constructed over the Dhauligana river and the Rishiganga power project across the Rishiganga river -- a tributary of Dhauliganga -- have been damaged completely with sludge overwhelming the projects, say local officials.  Over 150 people are said to have lost their lives in this disaster and scores are missing. Ten bodies have been recovered so far from the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) power project site at Tapovan, said the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) officials. The missing persons are believed to be labourers working at the dam sites and villagers along the river. T

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.