13-year-old girl, three teenage boys detained over grandfather’s murder




By Sagaya Fernando| August 19, 2026


Alappuzha, Kerala, INDIA: A 13-year-old girl and three teenage boys have been taken into custody in connection with the alleged murder of her grandfather at Karuvatta near Haripad in Kerala’s Alappuzha district, in a case police say involved a pre-planned killing, robbery and attempts to mislead investigators.


The victim, Sivankutty Chettiyar, was found dead inside his house on Monday, August 17, with his hands and legs tied behind him using pieces of cloth and bedsheets.


A preliminary post-mortem examination found that he had been smothered to death, police said. He had also suffered injuries that caused internal bleeding.


Police allege that Sivankutty’s granddaughter planned the crime with her boyfriend, a Plus-II student from Paravur in neighbouring Kollam district, and two of his friends, both aged 17.


Police have named the girl as the first accused and her boyfriend as the second accused.


District Police Chief T K Vishnu Pradeep said investigators believe the killing was planned in advance and that robbery was among the motives.


Police said gold ornaments and cash were taken from the house after the killing. Reports have given differing figures for the quantity of gold stolen, ranging from about 4.5 to six sovereigns. Investigators said part of the stolen jewellery was sold and the remaining ornaments were subsequently recovered.


Boys travelled from Kollam


According to police, the three boys travelled from Paravur in Kollam district to Haripad on the Maveli Express on Saturday, August 15.


They then took an autorickshaw to the area where Sivankutty lived, reaching the house at around 10.45 p.m.


Investigators said the girl was not at the house at the time. She had reportedly told her family that she would be staying at a friend’s home to study.


Police allege that before the boys entered the property, the girl’s boyfriend contacted her on a video call to confirm the location of the house.


Investigators said two of the boys entered through a rear ventilator opening and then opened the door for the third.


Sivankutty was alone at the time.


His daughter, the girl’s mother, had been admitted to Alappuzha Medical College Hospital for delivery, while his wife was accompanying her. The girl’s stepfather was abroad, police said.


Victim tied up and smothered


Police allege that a confrontation took place after the teenagers entered the house.


Sivankutty was restrained, with his hands and legs tied, and was allegedly assaulted before being smothered on the floor.


Investigators allege that the girl remained connected to her boyfriend through a video call during the incident. Police are examining digital evidence, including mobile phone records, as part of the investigation.


After Sivankutty died, the boys allegedly searched the house, broke open a cupboard and took gold ornaments and cash.


Police said chilli powder was then scattered around the house and crime scene, apparently in an attempt to interfere with evidence and make the incident appear to be a robbery.


The police believe the method was influenced by scenes the teenagers had seen in films.


The three boys then returned to Kollam early on Sunday, police said.


Body discovered on Monday


According to the police, the girl returned to the area after the killing and later claimed that she had tried to contact her grandfather but received no response.


On Monday, she alerted neighbours that Sivankutty had not been seen and that the house had remained locked.


Neighbours eventually entered the house and found him dead before informing police.


The circumstances initially suggested that Sivankutty had been killed during a robbery.


However, investigators said inconsistencies began to emerge when they questioned the girl about her movements and what had happened during the previous two days.


“Contradictions in the girl’s statements changed the direction of the probe. Situational evidence and statements helped lead us to the culprits,” Kayamkulam DySP Rajappan Rauthar said.


Police subsequently examined mobile phone records and other digital evidence.


Cyber investigators used mobile tower location data and other evidence to trace the teenage suspects to Kollam, police said.


iPhone and motorcycle among alleged motives


Police said their preliminary investigation indicated that money was a major motive.


Investigators allege that the girl wanted money to buy an iPhone, while the boys wanted funds for a motorcycle.


Police said one piece of the stolen jewellery was allegedly sold for around ₹16,000 at a jewellery shop in Kollam. Investigators have also identified a person suspected of helping facilitate the sale.


However, officers are examining other possible motives.


According to police, the girl had complained to her boyfriend that her grandfather had touched her inappropriately. Investigators said the allegation would be examined independently and should not be treated as established fact at this stage.


Police are also looking into whether restrictions allegedly imposed by Sivankutty on the girl’s mobile phone use and friendships played a role in the events leading to the killing.


“The allegation will be looked into,” Vishnu Pradeep said.


Investigators said the girl and the boys already knew each other because her family had previously lived in Paravur.


Police believe the group began planning the crime on Friday after learning that Sivankutty would be alone at the house.


“It was a planned murder. They came with the intention of killing Sivankutty,” the district police chief said.


Juvenile Justice Board to handle case


The three boys were produced before the Juvenile Justice Board and sent to a juvenile home at Mayithara near Cherthala.


The girl was kept at the Sakhi One Stop Centre in Alappuzha and was due to be produced before the Juvenile Justice Board.


Police said the case is being investigated as a heinous offence under the juvenile justice framework. Any decision on whether an older juvenile accused can be tried as an adult is subject to the statutory assessment and procedures under the Juvenile Justice Act; it is not determined solely by police recommendation.


Investigators are continuing to examine the teenagers’ mobile phones, communications, movements, the disposal and recovery of the stolen jewellery, and the circumstances that led to the killing.


Police said none of the four juveniles was known to have a previous criminal record.


Note: As all four accused are minors, their names and identifying details have been withheld.

Comments