Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

Man’s foot crushed horribly in accident saved by doctors

Sumesh Rajan

Mumbai: 26 October 2022

 35-year-old Basudev Bandhopadhyay of Undri in Pune, India, on July 16 was riding a motorbike with his wife in the pillion, back home at around 10 am after meeting his friend at Pisoli around 5 kms away, when a truck collided into his bike from behind.

The accident was so forceful that the motorbike that they were riding tumbled and both of them fell off on to the road. While, Basudev’s wife escaped with minor injuries, his left leg got entangled in the wheel of the truck and he along with the bike was dragged for around 50 feet. 

“My left leg was completely crushed and the muscles were torn apart leading to a lot of bleeding. My wife immediately called my friend, who rushed me to Ruby Hall Clinic at Wanowrie (around 5 kms away). Though there were only two minor fractures one at the ankle and another at the patella, there was massive blood, muscle and skin loss. The first thought of the attending doctors was to amputate my leg. I felt completely devastated, and seeing the condition I too thought that I will lose my leg. However, some of my friends knew about micro-vascular surgeon Dr Abhishek Ghosh, and contacted him. Though he was on leave on that day, he rushed to the hospital and said ‘let us try to save the leg’,” said Basudev.

“He had lost a lot of blood and was rushed to the hospital. Seeing his condition he was advised amputation of his left lower limb, I and my team decided to salvage the limb,” said Dr Ghosh.

“He was immediately taken for emergency surgery, and was given multiple blood transfusions to stabilise his blood pressure, and given anesthesia. The whole left lower limb was badly crushed and degloved and there was no blood supply to the leg due to damaged popliteal artery. An emergency popliteo - tibial vascular bypass was done and his leg was saved,” added Dr Ghosh.

The first day surgery lasted for about 6 hours. Later he underwent multiple debridements and reconsteuctive surgeries with grafts and flaps. After 14 surgeries his lower limb has healed now and he is able to walk with a walker.

He is expected to regain full use of his limb in two months’ time with physiotherapy, said Dr Ghosh.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

5 year old girl with a very rare blood clotting disorder successfully treated by doctors in Mumbai

Story by Sumesh Rajan Mumbai:  January 19, 2018 A five year old girl was successfully treated for a very rare birth defect with a very rare blood clotting disorder by doctors at Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital in Mumbai. The child was diagnosed one among 200 rare medically recorded cases globally. Deepika Yadav from Raichur district in the south Indian state of Karnataka was having right sided brachial plexus injury and Factor VII deficiency. Brachial plexus injury is about nerves of the upper limb are stretched inadvertently during difficult delivery leading to poorly functioning arm. Factor VII deficiency is a blood clotting disorder that causes excessive or prolonged bleeding after an injury or surgery. With Factor VII deficiency, the body either doesn’t produce enough Factor VII, or something is interfering with factor VII, often another medical condition. Factor VII is a protein produced in the liver that plays an important role in helping blood to clot. It’s one o

Doctors remove 1 kg hairball from 6-year-old girl who weighed only 14 kgs

Video Link :-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXsGZpcpWDs Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 18 September 2018 In a very rare medical case, doctors in India removed a lump of hairball weighing 1 kg and about a meter long from the stomach of a 6 year-old-girl who was suffering from trichophagia along with wheat allergy. The girl from Dad village on the outskirts of Ludhiana city in Punjab, India, was diagnosed with wheat allergy in April this year.  “Her parents brought her to me in the last week of August with severe abdominal pain and a lump in the stomach. They also informed that she has been eating her hair, which in medical terms is called trichophagia,” informed Dr Daljit Singh of Anmol Hospital, Ludhiana, who conducted the surgery. He further added, “She was very underweight and weak for her age. Though she was 6 years old, she weighed only 14 kilograms.” “We got an ultrasound test done which showed some mass in her stomach. Because of her history of e