Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

5-year-old child swallows 22 mm diameter coin, squirms in pain for 24 hours before doctor removes it in a matter of minutes

 5-year-old child swallows 22 mm diameter coin, squirms in pain for 24 hours before doctor removes it in a matter of minutes


Sagaya Fernando

Mumbai: 3 February 2021


 

5-year-old Hammad of Meerut city in Uttar Pradesh, India, while playing, innocently swallowed a 22 millimeter diameter Rs 5 coin not knowing the deadly consequences of it, on January 27.

 

His parents came to know about it later only when the child started crying of pain in his stomach. On coming to know that he had swallowed a coin, they initially tried to flush it out of his body by giving laxatives and liquids to the child.

 

But, when the coin did not come out naturally, and was causing immense pain in the abdomen of the child, the next day the parents rushed him to Pediatric Gastroenterologist and Hepatologist Dr Shubham Jain, who runs the Shubham Hospital & Child Care Centre in Meerut.

 

“The 5-year-old child weighing around 15 kg was brought to me on January 28 after 24 hours of him ingesting the Rs 5 coin. The child swallowed the coin on January 27 at around 12 in the afternoon, and post-ingestion the parents tried to remove the coin by giving laxatives and liquids so that the coin could come out naturally in the stool. But as the coin didn’t come out naturally and was causing pain in the child’s abdomen and difficulty in swallowing food, the parents brought him to me,” said Dr Jain. 

 

“On January 28 at around 4 pm, the coin was successfully removed by endoscopy process without causing any damage to the internal organs of the child. Special care was taken because of the child’s tender age and slender weight,” said Dr Jain.

 

“The Rs 5 coin has blunt edges due to which ulcers were formed inside the child’s abdomen. This is the reason that gastroscope should be used to remove any foreign body,” said Dr Jain, who is incidentally Meerut’s first Pediatric Gastroenterologist & Hepatologist.

 

“Right now the child is absolutely fine and there is no pain in the abdomen,” he added. 












Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

5 year old girl with a very rare blood clotting disorder successfully treated by doctors in Mumbai

Story by Sumesh Rajan Mumbai:  January 19, 2018 A five year old girl was successfully treated for a very rare birth defect with a very rare blood clotting disorder by doctors at Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital in Mumbai. The child was diagnosed one among 200 rare medically recorded cases globally. Deepika Yadav from Raichur district in the south Indian state of Karnataka was having right sided brachial plexus injury and Factor VII deficiency. Brachial plexus injury is about nerves of the upper limb are stretched inadvertently during difficult delivery leading to poorly functioning arm. Factor VII deficiency is a blood clotting disorder that causes excessive or prolonged bleeding after an injury or surgery. With Factor VII deficiency, the body either doesn’t produce enough Factor VII, or something is interfering with factor VII, often another medical condition. Factor VII is a protein produced in the liver that plays an important role in helping blood to clot. It’s one o

Doctors remove 1 kg hairball from 6-year-old girl who weighed only 14 kgs

Video Link :-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXsGZpcpWDs Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 18 September 2018 In a very rare medical case, doctors in India removed a lump of hairball weighing 1 kg and about a meter long from the stomach of a 6 year-old-girl who was suffering from trichophagia along with wheat allergy. The girl from Dad village on the outskirts of Ludhiana city in Punjab, India, was diagnosed with wheat allergy in April this year.  “Her parents brought her to me in the last week of August with severe abdominal pain and a lump in the stomach. They also informed that she has been eating her hair, which in medical terms is called trichophagia,” informed Dr Daljit Singh of Anmol Hospital, Ludhiana, who conducted the surgery. He further added, “She was very underweight and weak for her age. Though she was 6 years old, she weighed only 14 kilograms.” “We got an ultrasound test done which showed some mass in her stomach. Because of her history of e