Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

Doctors save 4-year-old girl pierced by iron rod through the jaw

Doctors save 4-year-old girl pierced by iron rod through the jaw

 

Sagaya Fernando

Mumbai: 7 August 2020

 

Like all children of her age, 4-year-old Jagyanseni Gouda of Khandadeuli village in Odisha state of India was playing on the under-construction terrace of her maternal uncle’s house on August 2 at around 8 am.

 

Accidentally she slipped and had a free fall over iron rods used for staircase concreting. And one of the rods pierced through her jaw.

 

Her parents and neighbours cut the jutting rod with a manual cutting blade which took about an hour before rushing her to a nearby primary health care centre. There they were referred to the state-run Maharaja Krishna Chandra Gajapati (MKCG) Medical College & Hospital at Brahmapur, 44 kms away.

 

“The child was brought to our hospital on August 3, 24 hours after the accident. The rod had pierced through the floor of mouth and going through 2/3rd of the tongue anterior. She was given primary resuscitation and stabilised by resident surgeon Dr V Rajesh. After resuscitation, Otorhinolaryngology consultant on duty was called for. On attending the call Dr Mamta Sahoo took second reference from paediatric surgery department, and we took a look into the baby clinically,” informed Dr Manas Ranjan Dash, paediatric surgeon at MKCG Hospital.

 

As per Dr Dash, the child had around 40 cm long cast iron rod which was ribbed and traversed digastric triangle in floor of mouth. 

 

“The entry wound over skin was not healthy with clots attached over surrounding foreign body,” said Dr Dash.

 

Dr. Pranaya Panigrahi assisting him asked for a quick routine blood investigation and Rapid antigen testing for Covid 19 so as to prepare the case for surgery.

 

“After getting preanesthetic fitness from Dr Ludham, the patient was shifted to OT. Preoperatively Dr Mallick and team of surgeons decided to have a tracheostomy secured for airway management and to proceed. Practically that was not possible as baby's odd posture restricting movement of neck. Default position of baby neck was toward right about 90 degree from anterior midlin plane,” said Dr Dash, adding that after sedating the patient, the rod was pulled with a backup plan of laryngoscopy and intubation in case of catastrophic bleeding from wound site

 

“To our luck we had not encountered any bleed which made the baby breathing spontaneously and she was observed in the OT for any airway obstruction requiring tracheostomy,” said Dr Dash.

 

The child’s condition has improved a lot and she is now recovering in intensive care unit. On August 6 she started taking food orally, and will be discharged soon, added Dr Dash. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

5 year old girl with a very rare blood clotting disorder successfully treated by doctors in Mumbai

Story by Sumesh Rajan Mumbai:  January 19, 2018 A five year old girl was successfully treated for a very rare birth defect with a very rare blood clotting disorder by doctors at Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital in Mumbai. The child was diagnosed one among 200 rare medically recorded cases globally. Deepika Yadav from Raichur district in the south Indian state of Karnataka was having right sided brachial plexus injury and Factor VII deficiency. Brachial plexus injury is about nerves of the upper limb are stretched inadvertently during difficult delivery leading to poorly functioning arm. Factor VII deficiency is a blood clotting disorder that causes excessive or prolonged bleeding after an injury or surgery. With Factor VII deficiency, the body either doesn’t produce enough Factor VII, or something is interfering with factor VII, often another medical condition. Factor VII is a protein produced in the liver that plays an important role in helping blood to clot. It’s one o

Doctors remove 1 kg hairball from 6-year-old girl who weighed only 14 kgs

Video Link :-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXsGZpcpWDs Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 18 September 2018 In a very rare medical case, doctors in India removed a lump of hairball weighing 1 kg and about a meter long from the stomach of a 6 year-old-girl who was suffering from trichophagia along with wheat allergy. The girl from Dad village on the outskirts of Ludhiana city in Punjab, India, was diagnosed with wheat allergy in April this year.  “Her parents brought her to me in the last week of August with severe abdominal pain and a lump in the stomach. They also informed that she has been eating her hair, which in medical terms is called trichophagia,” informed Dr Daljit Singh of Anmol Hospital, Ludhiana, who conducted the surgery. He further added, “She was very underweight and weak for her age. Though she was 6 years old, she weighed only 14 kilograms.” “We got an ultrasound test done which showed some mass in her stomach. Because of her history of e