Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

Doctors save man choking on live fish that slithered into his mouth


Doctors save man choking on live fish that slithered into his mouth


Sagaya Fernando
Mumbai: 26 April 2020

60-year-old Kadalaparambil Krishnan, suffering from speech impairment since young, has been fishing in the freshwater canal near his house at Edakkazhiyur near the town of Chavakkad in coastal Kerala, India, since childhood. On 21st April, it was like any other day for him after a netting a catch of karimeen (Pearl Spot) fish. While picking the catch from the net, he suddenly collapsed on to the ground. It was gathered later that, while collecting the fishes from the net, he was holding onto the live fish by his teeth while reaching out to gather the other fishes caught in the net, when the fish slipped from his teeth and went deep into his throat.

When people standing in the vicinity rushed to his help, unable to speak he motioned his hands towards his mouth and that’s when they realized that a live fish had slithered deep into his mouth and he was choking on it. Krishnan’s son and son-in-law who were informed about the incident put him on a motorbike and rushed to the nearest hospital at Chavakkad, but the doctors there referred him to a better equipped Amala Institute of Medical Sciences located in Thrissur, about 25 kms away.

“Krishnan was gasping for breath and was in a serious condition when he was brought to our hospital,” informed ENT specialist and Associate Professor Dr Arjun G Menon of Amala Hospital who attended on the patient.

He further added, “There was no time to shift the patient to an operation theatre as he was gasping when he reached our hospital casualty, and so we decided to conduct the extraction of the fish from his throat without any further delay.”

“Luckily for Krishnan, somewhere there was space for air entry hence did not die. The brain is extremely sensitive to the complete lack of oxygen for even 6 to 8 minutes,” said he.

“The extraction procedure lasted less than 10 minutes wherein the entire karimeen fish was pulled out of the patient’s throat and we were able to save Krishnan’s life,” said Dr Menon.

“It is a rare incident, and the timely medical help saved his life,” said he.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

5 year old girl with a very rare blood clotting disorder successfully treated by doctors in Mumbai

Story by Sumesh Rajan Mumbai:  January 19, 2018 A five year old girl was successfully treated for a very rare birth defect with a very rare blood clotting disorder by doctors at Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital in Mumbai. The child was diagnosed one among 200 rare medically recorded cases globally. Deepika Yadav from Raichur district in the south Indian state of Karnataka was having right sided brachial plexus injury and Factor VII deficiency. Brachial plexus injury is about nerves of the upper limb are stretched inadvertently during difficult delivery leading to poorly functioning arm. Factor VII deficiency is a blood clotting disorder that causes excessive or prolonged bleeding after an injury or surgery. With Factor VII deficiency, the body either doesn’t produce enough Factor VII, or something is interfering with factor VII, often another medical condition. Factor VII is a protein produced in the liver that plays an important role in helping blood to clot. It’s one o

Doctors in India remove world’s heaviest Ovarian tumour

Doctors in India remove world’s heaviest Ovarian tumour Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 24 October 2018-10-24 It was a quirk of fate that brought 46-years-old Vasantha – a farm hand with a massive abdominal swelling from the hill station of Ooty in Tamil Nadu, India – to doctors 85 kilometers downhill at Coimbatore who diagnosed it to be a gigantic ovarian tumour. “The patient’s abdomen started to swell gradually over a period of two years and started looking like as if she was pregnant with at least quadruplets. In the meantime, her daughter was to get engaged. Afraid of facing the people who would question her about the swollen abdomen and make snide remarks, she along with her husband Pokkisam approached a local doctor at Ooty, who diagnosed her of having a huge tumour and said that her chances of survival are slim even after a surgery. Hearing this, her spouse got disturbed. And, in a state of disturbed mind one day Pokkisam boarded a wrong bus home. A co-passenger who saw