Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

Jaw dropping tumour : Doctors remove rare tumor weighing 1.5 kg from 7-year-old’s jaw

Jaw dropping tumour : Doctors remove rare tumor weighing 1.5 kg from 7-year-old’s jaw

Sagaya Fernando
Mumbai: 19 September 2019


Doctors in Chennai, India, were left flummoxed when a 7-and-a-half-year-old boy approached them with a heavily deformed face in the last week of July. After conducting CT scans and x-rays, besides various examinations and learning about the patient’s family medical history, the doctors arrived at the conclusion that the boy was suffering from Familial Gigantiform cementoma of mandible – a very rare benign fibrocemento-osseous lesion of the jaw.

“Only 55 cases have been reported worldwide, with only 13 cases reported in Asia. This is the first such case reported in the Indian subcontinent with diagnosis of Familial Gigantiform cementoma,” informed Dr G Vimala, the Dean of Tamil Nadu Government Dental College & Hospital, Chennai, where the boy underwent surgery.

“The boy, Ebenezer, had come to us with complaints of massive growth in the lower jaw. The tumour in his jaw was noticed a year and a half ago, and it had grown to a massive proportion in the last six months. There was a medical history of similar growth in patient’s mother, aunt and grandmother but not to this extent. The patient’s family was afraid of surgical procedure and was reluctant to take treatment. However, as the boy complained of difficulty in breathing, eating and speaking, they finally approached us,” said Dr Cheruvathur Prasad, Head of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department of the hospital, who lead the team that conducted the surgery.

“The growth was covering his entire mouth. We performed the surgery on August 2, with general anesthesia. The surgery which began at 9.15 am went on till 4.30 pm,” said Dr Prasad.

Besides Dr. Prasad, the medical team comprised of Dr J Balaji, Dr K Arunkumar, Dr M Arulmozhi and Dr D Priya, Dr Krishnan (anesthetist) and Dr J Muthukumar (pediatric surgeon).

“The tumour was surgically removed, and the boy’s jaw was then reconstructed with titanium plates. The patient recovered uneventfully and was discharged after three weeks of hospitalization,” said Dr Prasad.

He added that the tumour was 12 centimetre x 10 centimetre in size and weighed 1.5 kilograms.

Following the surgery, Ebenezer is now able to breathe and eat well.

We have removed the tumour completely, but there is a possibility of re-growth, so he needs to come for regular review, said Dr Prasad. 

Comments

  1. Hi there to everybody, it’s my first go to see of this web site; this weblog consists of awesome and in fact good stuff for visitors. Hurrah, that’s what I was exploring for, what stuff! Existing here at this blog, thanks admin of this web site. You can also visit Home Visiting Doctor for more Miami Village Medical Practice related information and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rare surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years

Rare  surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years Story by Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 15 th  March 2018 A mishap when he was barely one year old in the year 1979, left 39-year-old Rajendra Panchal of Pune in the state of Maharashtra in India, not only with a very narrow mouth but also turned him into an introvert after facing taunts for his facial looks from those around him. With barely able to open his mouth, Rajendra had been living on a liquid diet for the past 38 years till a chanced visit to a dentist for a severe toothache set him on a chain of action, culminating in a rare surgery to open his mouth and enable him to eat solid food after 38 long years. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Dr. J B Garde who conducted the corrective surgery on Rajendra says, “It is a rare case seen 1 in 25 lakhs. However, normally in such cases it is diagnosed and treated without much delay. But, here, the patient has persisted with the condition for 38

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path Sumesh Rajan Mumbai: 7 February 2021  A glacial burst in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand state in India on February 7 has caused massive havoc on its downhill path along the Dhauliganga and Rishiganga rivers.  The disaster occured after a portion of the Nanda Devi glacier broke off in Tapovan area of Joshimath in Uttarakhand.  The Tapovan power plant being constructed over the Dhauligana river and the Rishiganga power project across the Rishiganga river -- a tributary of Dhauliganga -- have been damaged completely with sludge overwhelming the projects, say local officials.  Over 150 people are said to have lost their lives in this disaster and scores are missing. Ten bodies have been recovered so far from the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) power project site at Tapovan, said the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) officials. The missing persons are believed to be labourers working at the dam sites and villagers along the river. T

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.