Skip to main content

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path Sumesh Rajan Mumbai: 7 February 2021  A glacial burst in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand state in India on February 7 has caused massive havoc on its downhill path along the Dhauliganga and Rishiganga rivers.  The disaster occured after a portion of the Nanda Devi glacier broke off in Tapovan area of Joshimath in Uttarakhand.  The Tapovan power plant being constructed over the Dhauligana river and the Rishiganga power project across the Rishiganga river -- a tributary of Dhauliganga -- have been damaged completely with sludge overwhelming the projects, say local officials.  Over 150 people are said to have lost their lives in this disaster and scores are missing. Ten bodies have been recovered so far from the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) power project site at Tapovan, said the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) officials. The missing persons are believed to be labourers working at the dam sites and villagers along the river. T

Venomous snake stuck in plastic ring rescued ingeniously by wildlife enthusiasts

Venomous snake stuck in plastic ring rescued ingeniously by wildlife enthusiasts





Sumesh Rajan

Mumbai: 30 October 2018



Mindlessly discarded plastic items are not only harming the environment but also have become a life threat for wildlife. One such incident has come to light in India wherein a venomous snake which had got stuck in a plastic ring had to be rescued using an ingenious method for the safety of the snake and the rescuers. 



On October 29 morning residents of Marunji village near Hinjewadi IT Park in Pune, Maharashtra, India, came across a Common Indian Krait -- a venomous snake species -- stuck in a plastic ring. They immediately called up wildlife activist and snake rescuer Tushar Pawar of Wild Animals and Snake Protection Society (WASPS) who rushed to the spot to take charge of entangled reptile.



“A close look indicated that it was a juvenile snake, and it was struggling to get itself free from the plastic ring. Nevertheless, it being one of the most venomous snakes, the question was how to handle it without being bitten while removing the ring from its body. Common Krait is not only a member of the famous ‘Big 4’ snakes of India, but it also has the most potent snake venom amongst them, regarded as one of the most toxic in the world. They are responsible for the majority of snake bites on humans. Although they are somewhat reluctant to bite, when they do, the Common Krait typically holds on to the victim for a while. This enables them to inject considerable amounts of their highly toxic venom into the victim,” said Shekar Jambhulkar, Secretary of WASPS.



The WASPS team including Tushar and Shekar then decided on an ingenious course of action wherein the venomous is saved and the rescuers also do not get bitten by it.



“We took a metal pipe with a circumference that the snake could just slide into, and long enough to contain its face inside, and coaxed it into it. Then heated a knife and sliced the plastic ring carefully, taking care that the snake is not hurt,” said Tushar.



A video shot by Shekar of the snake being relieved of its misery shows that once it is freed from the plastic ring that had tightened around its body, the Krait slithers out of the metal pipe and tries to flee. The snake was later released in its natural habitat in the outskirts of the city, said Shekar.

Comments

  1. These articles are exactly what I need. I have a liking for your posts. Thanks to your sharing, I can enrich my knowledge. Of course, I wish that you will write and share many posts. Do you know that I wait for them?
    Jogos onlin
    360 jogo
    games io 2019

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. selfie ring light

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment

Popular posts from this blog

Snake rescuer bitten by venomous cobra lives to tell the tale

"Snake rescuer bitten by venomous cobra lives to tell the tale" For video click here:-  >  https://youtu.be/nOWbQMZCLWg Sumesh Rajan Mumbai: August 21, 2018 A snake rescuer in India almost paid with his life when a venomous cobra snake bit him while he was rescuing it. 35-years-old Tushar Patel of Dharampur town in Valsad district of Gujarat is lucky to be alive to tell his tale after being bitten by the venomous snake which he mishandled during the rescue. “For the past 14 years, I have been rescuing snakes in and around Dharampur. Till now I have rescued over 5000 snakes. Spectacled Cobra, Krait, Bamboo Pit Viper, Saw Scaled Viper and Russel’s Viper are some of the most poisonous snakes found in our area. On July 25, I got a call from workers in a scrap godown in Valod Faliya close to my house, about a Spectacled Cobra lurking there. I found the Cobra slithering near a parked car and was rescuing it when it suddenly bit me on my right ha

Doctors remove 1 kg hairball from 6-year-old girl who weighed only 14 kgs

Video Link :-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXsGZpcpWDs Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 18 September 2018 In a very rare medical case, doctors in India removed a lump of hairball weighing 1 kg and about a meter long from the stomach of a 6 year-old-girl who was suffering from trichophagia along with wheat allergy. The girl from Dad village on the outskirts of Ludhiana city in Punjab, India, was diagnosed with wheat allergy in April this year.  “Her parents brought her to me in the last week of August with severe abdominal pain and a lump in the stomach. They also informed that she has been eating her hair, which in medical terms is called trichophagia,” informed Dr Daljit Singh of Anmol Hospital, Ludhiana, who conducted the surgery. He further added, “She was very underweight and weak for her age. Though she was 6 years old, she weighed only 14 kilograms.” “We got an ultrasound test done which showed some mass in her stomach. Because of her history of e

In a rare surgery, underdeveloped fetus removed from a 20-days-old infant in India

In a rare surgery, underdeveloped fetus removed from a 20-days-old infant in India Story by Sagaya Fernando Mumbai:  March 14, 2018 In a rare case of foetus in foetu, a 20-days-old infant underwent surgery for removal of an underdeveloped foetus at Shalby Hospital in Ahmedabad – the capital of the state of Gujarat in India. The infant’s parents took him to the hospital on February 28 with an abnormal swelling in his abdominal area. Medical examinations revealed that the child had been suffering from the rare medical condition called retroperitoneal mature teratoma or foetus in foetu. The rare condition is defined as the presence of one of the twins in the body of the other. This condition occurs in one in five lakh cases and, only around 200 such cases have been recorded in medical history so far. Gastrointestinal Hepatobiliary Consultant and Liver Transplant Surgeon Dr. Bhavin Vasavada conducted the surgery. He said that the CT scan was showed the rare co