Skip to main content

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.

‘Snake boat’ collides into houseboat, occupants swim to safety

‘Snake boat’ collides into houseboat, occupants swim to safety

 Sumesh RajanMumbai: August 9, 2018



Around 100 people had a lucky escape after a ‘snake boat’ collided with a houseboat while navigating a backwater channel in the state of Kerala, India, on August 5.

The incident occurred when the members of Kumarakom Navatara Boat Club were practising on their snake boat called Chundan Vallam (beaked boat) for the forthcoming Nehru Trophy Snake Boat Race to be held at nearby Alappuzha.

“Over 95 oarsmen were paddling the snake boat in the Mutherimada canal when a houseboat strayed into its way accidentally. Instead of taking a left course the houseboat pilot turned to the right coming bang into the path of the swiftly paddling oarsmen,” said local resident Dipu Divakar a witness to the incident.

He further added that the oarsmen practice twice a day, and this was their second run around 4.30 in the evening when the mishap occurred. Luckily no one was injured in the collision.

Seconds before the two boats collided, the oarsmen in the front section of the snake boat jumped into the water to save themselves. Many people, who had gathered along the banks of the canal to cheer the practising oarsmen, rushed to their help and pulled them to safety.

A typical Chundan Vallam is 138 feet long and can accommodate more than 100 oarsmen. It is also called ‘snake boat’ for its resemblance to the shape of a hooded snake. Developed centuries ago and used as naval boats by the local kings, the Chundan Vallam is now used in boat races. Two men stand in the centre of the boat -- where once cannons were placed – and beat the Odithatta (fire platforms) with poles and sing Vanchipattu (songs) to maintain the rhythm of rowing. While the strongest oarsmen occupy the bow portion, the stern is manned by six well-built helmsmen in standing position, who help steer the boat. The chief oarsman occupies the highest point in the boat. Nowadays, every snake boat represents a village, and the boat races have become an integral part of Kerala’s cultural identity.


VIDEO LINK:-  https://youtu.be/K-PvjkHO3zw

Comments

  1. Your posts are exactly what I am looking for. They are informative and useful. I am able to learn more new things and knowledge. It's good if you upload articles frequently. Thank you for sharing tips and insight.
    Jogo para menina
    jogos 360 2019
    game io

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gray rat Irving is not doing well. After visits to the vet and some antibiotics the only other course of action for his respiratory infection is a steam nebulizer treatment. Last night I put both rats in a cage and set them in the bathroom while I showered, hoping the hot, moist air would help. It did not.
    kizi 4 girl games
    free game 2019
    friv for school 2019

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rare surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years

Rare  surgery helps man to open mouth and eat solid food after 38 long years Story by Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 15 th  March 2018 A mishap when he was barely one year old in the year 1979, left 39-year-old Rajendra Panchal of Pune in the state of Maharashtra in India, not only with a very narrow mouth but also turned him into an introvert after facing taunts for his facial looks from those around him. With barely able to open his mouth, Rajendra had been living on a liquid diet for the past 38 years till a chanced visit to a dentist for a severe toothache set him on a chain of action, culminating in a rare surgery to open his mouth and enable him to eat solid food after 38 long years. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Dr. J B Garde who conducted the corrective surgery on Rajendra says, “It is a rare case seen 1 in 25 lakhs. However, normally in such cases it is diagnosed and treated without much delay. But, here, the patient has persisted with the condition for 38

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path

Glacial burst wrecks havoc on its downhill path Sumesh Rajan Mumbai: 7 February 2021  A glacial burst in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand state in India on February 7 has caused massive havoc on its downhill path along the Dhauliganga and Rishiganga rivers.  The disaster occured after a portion of the Nanda Devi glacier broke off in Tapovan area of Joshimath in Uttarakhand.  The Tapovan power plant being constructed over the Dhauligana river and the Rishiganga power project across the Rishiganga river -- a tributary of Dhauliganga -- have been damaged completely with sludge overwhelming the projects, say local officials.  Over 150 people are said to have lost their lives in this disaster and scores are missing. Ten bodies have been recovered so far from the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) power project site at Tapovan, said the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) officials. The missing persons are believed to be labourers working at the dam sites and villagers along the river. T

Doctors save man pierced in a freak accident by 5-feet long rod through the neck

    Sagaya Fernando Mumbai: 6 November 22   A team of doctors at Apollo Multispecialty hospital in Triuchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, saved the life of a 33-years-old man whose neck was pierced through by a feet long iron rod.   Karthikeyan, a resident of Ariyamangalam in the city, was watering the concrete slabs on the first floor of his under-construction house when he accidentally slipped and fell 15 to 20 feet down, on October 15. As he fell, a 5 feet long iron rod with serrated edges pierced through his neck and came out from the back.   “Within fifteen minutes of the mishap, his relatives rushed him to our hospital which is in close vicinity,” informed Apollo Multispecialty Hospital, Triuchirappalli, Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon Dr Mohamed Mansoor, who led the operating team.   “On evaluation in emergency, it was seen that he had a 5 feet long iron rod penetrating into the anterior aspect of neck and exiting the posterior aspect of neck.